Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Bring on the snow, baby!


I had to give in and just ask the cashier at Old Navy.  What do people buy for a baby under one year old for the winter months?

My vision of being a mom in winter included buying a bulky winter (waterproof) jacket, mitts, hats, heavy socks, winter boots and snow pants.  I expected to start fresh every Fall – without complaining about how fast kids grow.  This year is a little tricky though.

First of all, my baby has been in 12 month clothes for the past month.  He’s nine months old.  At that rate, I draw a blank on what sizes we’ll need.  For shoes, we’re in the same boat.  He fits into a size four and is sort of walking (three or four steps here and there, enough that sock feet time is over).  Obviously size four boots won’t fit in another month or two when there’s actual snow and slush on the ground.

AAAARRRRGGGHHHH!

Baby snow suits are mostly fleece.  I imagine rolling around in the snow with him and I have waterproof snow pants that I, at this age, will never grow out of.  He’ll get soaked in fleece.  A full snowsuit for a 12-month-old baby runs around 80 dollars.  Places like Wal-Mart didn’t have outside winter clothes that were small enough so we ended up at Reny’s looking at Columbia brand clothes for babies.

I really didn’t know what to do and if money wasn’t an object, I’d just buy two of everything.  One size that will fit now and the next size up and cross my fingers that he’ll still fit into them in April or May when the snow is finally gone.  Or possibly June, depending on the winter we have here in Maine.

Knowing that the short rompers that got us through the summer won’t cut it, I had to buy something.  I bought some sneakers and a warm waterproof jacket from Wal-Mart.  They fit him now.   I have a rain slicker and rubber boots for later in the Fall and lots of sweaters I knit during the long wait for baby’s arrival.

I don’t have the brain space to commit to predicting what we’ll need so I guess we’ll be that family running into LL Bean when there’s just one bright purple alpaca snowsuit left sometime in January and because it’s still in season, it’ll cost about 200 dollars.  The good news is that they have matching boots for 75 more.

One thing’s for sure - come February, I’m stocking up for next year!!!

To join me on Facebook: My Mom Is Good Enough
To follow on Twitter: @thatlldomama

No comments:

Post a Comment